Among the first 30 doctors to practice at Leavenworth's "Cascade General Hospital", Dr. William McCoy. who performed the first appendectomy in the Wenatchee Valley sometime between 1905 and 1909. Dr. McCoy was instrumental in setting up the first small hospital in Leavenworth in 1903 in connection with the Lamb-Davis Lumber Company.
Dr. W.W. Elmer practiced in Leavenworth from 1906 to the late 1920's, retiring at the age of 90 and living until her was 98. In 1910, Dr. J.S. Judah used a wooden frame building on the corner of Ninth and Commercial streets for a hospital. Dr. H.L. Hopkins, who also served as Mayor, practiced medicne in Leavenworth from 1929 to 1957. He died at the age of 54 after developing cancer from X-ray burns on his hands from over conscientious use of the fkourosscope.
In 1923, Dr. Albert Lessing built a hospital which served residents of the valley for nearly 50 years. A community hopital district was eventually established and the Cascade General Hospital was built in 1970, serving medical needs of people in Peshastin, Dryden, Leavenworth, Lake Wenatchee and outlying areas extending to the summits of Blewett and Stevens Pass.
In 1937, Dr. Speer arrived in Leavenworth to work for 6 months during a sever pneumonia epidemic in which one in three patients were dying. No sulphar, penicillin or other antibiotics were available at the time. Dr. Speer stayed on in Leavenworth and resided in Leavenworth after retirement.